Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Law of Presence

I am presently re-reading the book, The Laws of Spirit, by Dan Millman. It is written as a fable and as stated on the title page it is "simple, powerful truths for making life work". He calls the law for living in the moment the law of presence. In the chapter introduction for this law, Dan states, "Time is a paradox, stretching between a 'past' and 'future' that have no reality except in our own minds. The idea of time is a convention of thought and language, a social agreement. Here is the deeper truth: We have only this moment." Dan Millman provided some of my first introductions to mindfulness and is still my favorite author on the subject. Even though I am currently juggling many projects at the same time, they all seem to be clearly focused in my mind. I credit my attempt at living mindfully for this sanity.

The picture above was taken recently during one of those special moments in my life. I was having breakfast with my dad on his sun porch and was privileged to witness this little bluebird and her mate go about their duties of preparing their home. My dad is an avid bird lover and his backyard is a birds' paradise. Along with the bluebirds, there was also a visit from a cardinal and a woodpecker. The beauty of the birds was enhanced by the backdrop created by the newly blossoming dogwood trees.

9 comments:

  1. So happy you are able to experience the joy of the creative process without getting bogged down. That is a gift of mindfulness for sure. Wonderful moment with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me that I should re-read some Millman. I haven't read him in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Ria,
    The past is preserved in memory and the future is "created" by plans, desire or circumstance. The present moment does not exist except as an ever-present "breeze" that we can feel, experience, and hopefully enjoy but can never capture or contain. It is experienced totally by our senses: sight, sound, smell, taste, touch. The ultimate "what IS..."

    Have a nice "now" today as it blows through your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. truly, heart warming post. thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will add that to my reading lis, and beautiful bluebirds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria! This pix is beautiful!!! My Dad, too, is an avid bird watcher. He's got his back yard fit for the Kings! I think he spends more on feeding the birds and squirrels than he does himself and Mom!

    This book sounds facinating. I'm going to add it to my list to look for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a very peaceful and beautiful picture. I really like it a lot. But, that you were spending time with your dad is what really made the time special. Enjoy him - I would give almost anything to spend another afternoon with my dad. We seem to rarely appreciate those special people in our lives while we have them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been remiss in my visits to your place and have missed alot of great posts! This one is excellent and I'm a fan of Millman, too.

    I have a 'thing' for birdhouses and that one is very charming, especially with the little fellow on his front porch.

    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete