Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Letting Go or Not

The other morning I awoke to a lizard on my bedside table. Now, I love lizards, but they are not meant to live in the house. When I reached over carefully to catch him he clamped down as hard as he could on my finger. My first thought was, "you go dude, never give up", but once we got outside he still held tight. He was so set in his mind that he couldn't see that now it was better to let go. This is a dilemma we all face from time to time, when to hold on, when to let go. These are decisions we have to make ourselves and for the situation at hand. Sometimes it's hard to see the best solution and harder still when our minds are noisy. Mindfulness helps to quiet the mind and clear the vision, it's the difference between looking into a cloudy pond churned up from the bottom or one that is still and clear.

Mindfulness and meditation is a way to look within ourselves and by teaching this to kids, they will have the tools necessary for clearer vision of themselves and the world around them.


(This might not be a tough decision on whether to hold on or let go.)

No comments:

Post a Comment